Jenkins ... where the past embraces the future.
Founded in 1802 in a small room in Independence Hall in Philadelphia, PA, the Law Library Company of the City of Philadelphia was formed by a group of lawyers who set out to provide legal information for the growing law community in the City. Philadelphia’s law library holds the prestigious position as America’s first and oldest law library.
Through several moves and name changes, the library adapted to changing times and the needs of its members. In 1967, its name was changed to The Theodore F. Jenkins Memorial Law Library Company, now known as the Jenkins Law Library. The law library is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit corporation and is governed by a board of directors. Jenkins employs a staff of 14 librarians and 19 support staff to provide a wealth of legal and law-related information, databases, continuing legal education classes, and research services to its 7,000 and growing member base.