Style Guides & More
Tip: This guide focuses on materials available at Jenkins. Public libraries, like the Free Library of Philadelphia, and academic libraries often have a larger collection of dictionaries, thesauri, and other reference materials. Academic libraries may have access restrictions and we recommend contacting them before visiting for their most up-to-date policy information.
Tip: Many colleges and universities' libraries and writing programs have created online style guides. One of the many available online is the Purdue University Online Writing Lab (OWL): Research and Citation Resources.
General Style Guides and Manuals
The Chicago Manual of Style University of Chicago Press
- Location: Z253 .C4 2003 (Reference Desk; Closed Stacks)
- Note: Library has 16th (2010), 15th (2003), and 14th (1993) editions.
The Columbia Guide to Online Style Columbia University Press
- Location: PN171.F56 W35 2006 (Reference Desk)
- Note: Library has 2nd (2006) edition.
Garner's Modern American Usage Oxford University Press
- Location: PE2827 .G37 2009 (General Collection)
- Note: Library has 3rd (2009) edition.
The Gregg Reference Manual Glencoe/McGraw-Hill
- Location: PE1479.B87 S22 2001 (General Collection)
- Note: Library has 9th (2001) edition.
Harbrace College Handbook Harcourt Brace Jovanovich
- Location: PE1112 .H3 1994 (General Collection)
- Note: Library has 12th (1994) edition.
- Location: PE1408 .A58 1997 (General Collection)
- Note: Library has 1st (1997) edition.
Modern American Usage: A Guide Hill and Wang
- Location: PE1460 .F59 1998 (General Collection)
- Note: Library has 1st Rev. (1998) edition.
- Location: PE1421 .N48 1994 (Reference Desk)
- Note: Library has 1st (1994) edition.
The New York Times Manual of Style and Usage Times Books
- Location: PN4783 .S57 1999 (General Collection)
- Note: Library has Rev. and expanded (1999) edition.
Style Manual U.S. Government Printing Office
- Electronic Access: GPO website
- Location: PE1479.B87 B37 2000 (General Collection)
- Note: Library has New expanded (2000) edition.
Tip: Additional style books can be found in the General Collection at call numbers PE1111 through PN4700.
Acronyms & Abbreviations
Word Guides function as alphabetical word lists with word divisions marked for easy reference to the division of words located at the end of lines.
Tip: For Legal word guides, see the Legal Dictionaries guide.
Webster's Instant Word Guide Merriam
- Location: PE1145.2 .W4 (Reference)
- Note: Library has ©1980.