Historic English Dictionaries (pre-1950)
Spinelli's Law Library Reference Shelf: Dictionaries
Available on HeinOnline. Can browse by title, author, date, and subject. Includes American, English, and foreign language dictionaries. Earliest dictionaries date back to the 1500s.
A Compendious Law Dictionary Printer varies
Also referred to as Pott's Law Dictionary.
A Dictionary of English Law Sweet & Maxwell
Also referred to as Byrne's Dictionary.
A Law Dictionary: or the Interpreter of Words and Terms Printer varies
Also referred to as Cowel's Interpreter.
- Library has print access to Augmented and Improved (1727 printing) edition.
- Library has online access to Augmented and Improved (1727 printing) and Augmented and Improved (1708 printing) editions on HeinOnline. Dr. Cowel's The Interpreter: or Booke Containing the Signification of Words 1701, 1637, and 1607 printings, are also available on HeinOnline. Nomothethe: The Interpreter 1684 and 1672 printings are also available on HeinOnline.
- Library has online access to Augmented and Improved (1701 printing) edition on LLMC Digital.
The Law Dictionary Printer varies
Also referred to as Jacob's Law Dictionary.
- Library has print access to 11th (1797), 8th (1762), 4th (1739), and 2nd (1732) editions.
- Library has online access to 11th (1797), 10th (1782), 9th (1772), 8th (1762), 5th (1744), and 4th (1739) editions on HeinOnline.
- Library has online access to 10th (1782), 9th (1772), 8th (1762), and 3rd (1736) editions on LLMC Digital.
- For the 1st American from the 2nd London Edition, see the Historic Legal Dictionaries (pre-1950) page of this guide.
A Law-Dictionary and Glossary Printers vary
Also Referred to as Blount's Law Dictionary.
The Law Lexicon, or Dictionary of Jurisprudence I.G. M'Kinley & J.M.G. Lescure
A New and Complete Law Dictionary, or, General Abridgement of the Law Printers vary
Also referred to as Cunningham's Law Dictionary.
A New Law Dictionary J. & W.T. Clarke
Also referred to as Whishaw's Law Dictionary.
A New Law Dictionary William Crofts
- Library has print access to 1839 printing.
- Library has online access to Edited from the 2nd and Enlarged London Edition (1847) and 1839 printing on HeinOnline.
A New Law Dictionary and Institute of the Whole Law Stevens & Haynes
Also referred to as Brown's Law Dictionary.
A New Law Dictionary: Intended for General Use as well as for Gentlemen of the Profession Printer varies
Also Referred to as Burn's Law Dictionary.
The Student's Law Dictionary Printed by E. and R. Nutt, and R. Gosling, for J. Hodges
Also referred to as the Compleat English Law Expositor.
- Library has print access to 1740 printing.
Supplement to the Judicial Dictionary of Words and Phrases Judicially Interpreted, and of Statutory Definitions Sweet & Maxwell, Stevens and Sons
Also referred to as Stroud's Judicial Dictionary.
Wharton's Law-Lexicon Printer varies