Domestic Violence & Protection From Abuse
This research guide is provided by Jenkins Law Library to help with research regarding domestic/intimate partner violence and Protection From Abuse (PFA) orders in Pennsylvania and is not offered as legal advice. This guide is not a complete collection of law and commentary. There may be more laws or materials that are relevant to your issue than what is listed here, and further research may be required.
Philadelphia Domestic Violence Hotlines & Organizations
24/7 Philadelphia Domestic Violence Hotline
Free, confidential, and anonymous. Offers options counseling, safety planning, resources, and referrals to survivors and community members trying to help loved ones experiencing abuse. Translation services are available.
Web chat is a free, confidential, and anonymous option for talking to an advocate from Women Against Abuse. Chat is available everyday from 12pm - 8pm EST.
WOAR: Philadelphia Center Against Sexual Violence 24-Hour Hotline
Call or Text: 215-985-3333
WOAR provides free services to anyone who has experienced sexual violence. The WOAR Hotline provides support, information, referral guidance, and the coordination of requested WOAR counseling services.
Women Against Abuse Legal Center
Offers free legal advocacy and representation for survivors of all gender identities dealing with relationship violence-related matters, including Protection From Abuse (PFA), child custody, and child support.
Resources: Domestic, Sexual, and Community Violence Healthy Minds Philly (Department of Behavioral Health and Intellectual disAbility Services)
A list of organizations that offer services to people experiencing domestic violence, sexual violence, or physical or emotional abuse. Includes resources for shelter, legal aid, counseling, programs for abusive partners, and more.
Online - Philadelphia Courts Forms Center
Philadelphia Courts - First Judicial District of Pennsylvania Forms Center
Sample forms from Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas: Civil & Criminal Trial Division, Family Division, and Orphans' Court Division. Also includes forms from Municipal Court and Traffic Court.
See Court of Common Pleas Family Court - Domestic Relations > Protection from Abuse. Includes various forms such as Petition for Protection From Abuse, Petition for Contempt of Protection From Abuse Order, and more.
For subject manuals and brochures on a selection of legal topics, see the Brochures & Manuals page (Court of Common Pleas - Family Division).
Jenkins has several form packets available at the front desk related to Protection from Abuse cases. See the Forms section of this guide for more information.
PA Statutes & Court Rules
The following Pennsylvania statutes and court rules may help you get started on your research. Links are to free online resources when available, but you may need to conduct additional research at Jenkins.
Unofficial Purdon's Pennsylvania Statutes (from Westlaw)
- 23 Pa.C.S.A. Part VII: Abuse of Family, including Chapter 61: Protection From Abuse and Chapter 67: Domestic and Sexual Violence Victim Address Confidentiality.
- Please note: Other Pennsylvania statutes may also apply to your situation. Conduct a search to find additional references.
- To find more information about accessing the annotated version (a version with notes that point to cases and cross references that may help you continue your research) of the statutes in print at Jenkins or through other resources, please see the Pennsylvania Statutes guide.
- Pa.R.C.P. Chapter 1900 (R. 1901-1905): Actions Pursuant to the Protection From Abuse Act
- Pa.R.C.P. Chapter 1930 (R. 1930.1-1931): Rules Relating to Domestic Relations Matters Generally
- Pa.R.C.P. Chapter 1950 (R. 1951-1959): Actions Pursuant to the Protection of Victims of Sexual Violence or Intimidation Act
- Please note: Other Pennsylvania court rules may also apply to your situation. Conduct a search to find additional references.
- Please note: Local rules of court may also apply, so please check the local rules in your jurisdiction.