Systems and Cataloging Librarian
Established in 1802, Jenkins is the nation's first law library. Jenkins is a membership library and also functions as the county law library for the city and county of Philadelphia, providing services to attorneys, the judiciary, government offices, students, scholars and other researchers as well as the general public. As an employer, Jenkins is known for its family-friendly policies, competitive salary, excellent benefits, and pleasant working conditions.
General Description of the Position:
Jenkins Law Library seeks a forward-thinking, motivated, service-oriented professional to join our team as a Systems and Cataloging Librarian. This librarian has the responsibility to support robust library systems and apply expertise in cataloging and metadata standards to facilitate discovery and delivery of the library’s physical and electronic collections to Jenkins’ members. The librarian also works as part of our team of librarians and indexers to coordinate digitization initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages, implements, and provides technical expertise for library software and systems, including Sierra and EZProxy.
- Communicates with vendors regarding library systems and compatible applications.
- Implements, manages, troubleshoots, and tests electronic resources.
- Oversees the development and implementation of services to organize digital collections using Islandora.
- Works in coordination with the Information & Technology Manager and the Network Manager to perform maintenance and updates to the EZProxy authentication configuration. Provide technical support for the management of OCLC hosted EZProxy.
- Oversees OPAC and Islandora design and functionality in a manner that matches website branding and styles. Customizes the public interface using scripting languages, CSS, and widgets.
- Provides support, documentation, and training to other librarians and staff working with component parts of the supported library systems as needed. Maintains and updates documentation for Catalog & Electronic Resource Administration site.
- Investigates, evaluates, recommends and implements system upgrades, training and new functionalities.
- Acts as liaison with the ILS vendor.
- Analyzes system usage and users input to seek better system functionalities and utilization.
- Serves as a Project Leader for the selection and migration of the catalog and data to a new ILS/LMS.
- Integrates electronic resources and digital texts into the library's collection of information resources.
- Keeps current with trends in digital library technologies and integrated systems, and with trends and activities of Innovative Interfaces and its users' group.
- Supervises 4 FTE employees and 1 PTE.
- Performs all of the library's original cataloging in variety of formats.
- Works with cataloging assistant on copy cataloging in a variety of formats.
- Manages and loads MARC records from Serials Solutions, OCLC Worldshare Collection Manager, Overdrive, etc.
- Coordinates cataloging-relevant websites.
- Enhances access to materials available in electronic formats.
- Collaborates with staff across departments on e-resources management, acquisitions workflows, collections budget, and related projects.
- Facilitates the flow of work between the Acquisitions, Serials management and Cataloging functions.
- Reviews materials processed by Cataloging and Technical Services Assistants.
- Maintains databases and authority control including URL checking.
Minimum Experience Required:
At least 5 years of technical services professional experience. Three years of supervisory experience. Working experience with managing automated library system.
Three years of professional cataloging of monographs, serials, e-sources and other formats using OCLC or other bibliographic utility, proficiency with III Sierra Cataloging Module a plus.
Innovative Interfaces Sierra, OCLC Connexion, WorldShare Collection Manager, EZProxy, Serial Solutions, Islandora, Salesforce, Google Apps for Enterprise, Microsoft Office, e-mail, web browsers, Adobe Acrobat, Drupal, KeePass, software development tools and data management applications as the need arises.
Required Qualifications & Skills:
- Master’s degree in library or information science from ALA-accredited graduate school or equivalent.
- Demonstrated knowledge of or experience with integrated library systems, including administrative/back end functions. ILS/LSP management experience required; Innovative Sierra Platform preferred.
- Practical familiarity with MARC formats for bibliographic and authority records, cataloging and metadata structures, and relevant tools for data manipulation.
- Substantial knowledge of all aspects of library technical services operations, including AACR2R, LCSH, RDA. BIBFRAME & Linked Data, LC classification, USMARC formats, and OCLC applications and related standards. Knowledge of automated library operations.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex technical problems concisely and professionally to technical and non-technical staff.
- Strong detail orientation, customer focus, excellent communication and organizational skills, and the ability to manage multiple priorities/deadlines.
- Ability to work well independently as well as collaboratively with others in a team-based environment.
- Commitment to ongoing professional development and continuing education.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Hours: Monday - Friday – 9: 00 am to 5:00 pm
How to Apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter with your salary requirements to email@example.com.