Reference Librarian Position
Established in 1802, Jenkins is the nation's first law library. Jenkins is a membership library and also functions as the county law library for the city and county of Philadelphia, providing services to attorneys, the judiciary, government offices, students, scholars and other researchers as well as the general public. As an employer, Jenkins is known for its family-friendly policies, competitive salary, excellent benefits, and pleasant working conditions.
General Description of the Position:
Under the direction of the Research Services Manager, the Reference Librarian is part of the team responsible for providing advanced research support to members, using a variety of approaches and also providing guidance to self-represented litigants visiting the library. The Reference Librarian interacts directly with members by responding to information requests and providing individual training. The Reference Librarian provides additional support by serving as a subject bibliographer to assist with the development of tools to aid in the research process.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide reference service to members and self-represented litigants on the phone, via email and chat.
- Perform both immediate reference and in-depth research.
- Perform legal and non-legal computerized research.
- Assist members and self-represented litigants at the Reference Desk.
- Provide instruction and guidance for use of library catalog, legal databases, legal research methodology and procedures.
- Assists users with print resources.
- Contribute content to Jenkins’ Blog and other social media platforms.
- Assist with compiling and updating Research Guides.
- Compile legislative histories.
- Help in the testing of new electronic research services.
- Assist users with computers and other equipment.
- Assist with conducting library tours and orientations as needed.
- Assist in Document Delivery and Interlibrary Loan units when needed.
- Perform tasks to open or close the library when needed.
- Write articles relating to the profession as needed.
- Keep current with the profession through readings and classes.
- Participate in library projects (bibliographies, indices, shifting, etc.).
Other Duties as Assigned
Minimum Education Required: ALA accredited M.L.S.
Minimum Experience Required: Entry level position.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Good problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to think independently and creatively while filling multiple requests under strenuous time constraints
- Demonstrated ability to work harmoniously in a team setting
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work with diverse library users of varying levels of skill and understanding
- Dependability, punctuality, and a sense of humor
Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday - 10: 00 am to 6:00 pm
Wednesday – 11:00 am to 7:00 pm; occasional 8:00 am – 4:00 pm hours.
Status: Exempt Position
How to Apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter with your salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.